Asian Soft Milk Bread
I reconnected with my professor Dr. Tsuye from Hiroshima University of Economics after 20 years via Skype. He reminded me the good memories when I lived in Hiroshima . I used to go to the supermarket next to my apartment to buy the egg milk bread. I have a special heart for it. I never see it again after I came to US.
I searched online today. I found the recipe:) Everyone in my family loves it.
Prep Time: 3 hours
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 3 hours, 35 minutes
Serving Size: 1 lb loaf 8.5″ x 4.5″ x 2.75″
Water Roux (TangZhong)
- 25g flour
- 100ml milk Bread Dough
We can use custard paste to replace water roux.
Custard Paste will make softest and flutter loaf.
Ingredients for custard paste are 65g water, 1 yolk, 15g bread flour, 10g sugar.
- 70ml heavy cream
- 115g chilled water roux (TangZhong) from below recipe
- 1 large egg, about 60g
- 5g (2 tea spoons, or little bit less) active yeast + 30ml warm milk or water, or use RapidRise highly Active Yeast
- 330g (2 and 1/3 cups) bread flour, (or substitute some wheat flour)
- 50g (1/4 cup) sugar, or honey
- 4g (1 tea spoon) salt
- 30g (2 table spoons) butter, softened in room temperature
- Optional: cooked oatmeal, raison and seeds
To Make the Water Roux Instructions
- In a small sauce pan, combine the milk and the flour. Whisk using an egg beater until lump-free
- Place the pan over low heat while whisking to keep the lumps from forming. In 3 minutes, the mixture starts to thicken. Keep stirring for 2 more minutes until the mixture becomes a smooth pasty roux. You should be able to get soft peaks out of the roux. Cool down the roux completely before you use. I suggest you to make the roux the day before and chill it in the fridge overnight
To Make the Bread Dough for 1lb Loaf Pan (8.5″ x 4.5″ x 2.75″)
- Proof the active yeast with 30ml of warm milk. Skip this step if you use instant yeast or fresh yeast
- In a stand mixer or bread machine, combine all the bread dough ingredients except for the butter. Place the wet ingredients on the bottom and the dry ingredients on top. Start kneading the dough in medium speed or according to the bread machine instruction. As the dough starts to form, feel the dough with your finger to make sure it’s soft and slightly sticky
- About 20 minutes into kneading and when the dough is completely formed, add the softened butter. Continue to knead to another 10 minutes or so
- When the dough is done, cover with a lid and let it ferment until the dough doubles the size.
- It normally takes between 45 minutes to 1.5 hours for the dough to fully rise.
- When the dough is risen, knead the dough again, add raison and let it rise
- If you like slightly denser texture, stop proofing once the dough doubles the size. For super soft bread, continue proofing the dough.
- Select the baking option on the bread machine and bake it.
- Remove the loaf from the pan and let cool on a cooking rack. Cut into slices once it’s completely cool down and serve fresh.